Our mission to improve the health status of the communities we serve is at the heart of our charitable roots.
At Meridian Health, we recognize that the care we provide through our hospitals and partner companies reaches far beyond the boundaries of our facilities. Even as hospitals face growing economic pressures - the growing number of uninsured, the lack of adequate state and federal reimbursement, and increasing costs of pharmaceuticals and technology - Meridian remains committed to ensuring that the communities that we serve stay well through better health and education.
Meridian offers a variety of services and activities to keep people informed about health and wellness. Some of these initiatives include:
Adult Health Initiatives
- Active Adult Health & Wellness Outreach: Meridian Health brings health and wellness events, health screenings, educational seminars, and special events to active adults in our service area.
- Booker Health Sciences Library: The Booker Health Sciences Library at Jersey Shore University Medical Center provides free topical research on any health topic.
- Call Center Services: Meridian provides 24/7 call center services to the community to locate physicians, health care services, and support groups as well as to register for health education and screening programs.
- Health Education: Meridian physicians and other health care professionals offer hundreds of educational programs and special events covering such topics as asthma, diabetes, nutrition and healthy eating, behavioral health, cancer and survivorship, heart disease and stroke, and many more.
- Health Screenings: Early detection is critical to successfully managing many health issues. Meridian provides free and low cost screenings for a variety of conditions, including blood pressure, cholesterol, glucose, body mass index, bone density, stroke risk assessment, diabetic retinopathy, cancer, and more.
- Support Groups: Meridian understands that everyone will face a difficult life challenge at some point, whether the loss of a loved one, learning to live with a chronic disease or facing cancer. Meridian offers numerous support groups for patients and their caregivers, where sharing with others who are going through the same experience can provide comfort and support.
Children's Health Initiatives
- Doctor Bernard and the Pawsitive Action Team: Doctor Bernard is the Director of Fun and Good Health for K. Hovnanian Children's Hospital at Jersey Shore University Medical Center. Doctor Bernard and his Pawsitive Action Pals are making the rounds through schools in our service area, teaching children how to stay healthy, eat right, stay fit, and be safe.
- Outreach, Education, and Screenings: Meridian team members conduct outreach, education, and screening programs throughout the year, including cancer detection, baby sitting safety, bike helmet safety, and asthma education.
To learn more about any of our Community Outreach events, visit our Event Calendar or call 1-800-560-9990.
To schedule a screening or event on behalf of your organization, contact Community Outreach at 732-751-7590.