Balance & Motion Center
About Our Balance & Motion Center
Unique Services to Improve Balance and Prevent Falls
Feeling dizzy? Lose your balance while standing? Had more than one fall in the past year?
The Balance & Motion Center at Bayshore can help determine why, and provide the corrective therapy to resolve these problems.
This specialized team of medical practitioners will perform diagnostic tests on all aspects of a participant's balance system to identify the cause of dizziness or equilibrium related difficulties, and design an individualized treatment plan to restore mobility and function.
Balance Training Program & Vestibular Rehabilitation
Through this customized program at Bayshore, patients will partake in various types of physical rehabilitation therapy, with the goal of preventing unintentional falls in the future that could lead to life-altering health complications.
This training methodology focuses on exercises designed to heighten each patient's kinesthetic body awareness, improve coordination, and increase strength and endurance. Techniques include:
- Flexibility training
- Trunk and lower extremity strengthening
- Gaze stabilization training
- Standing, dynamic, and ambulation balance training
- Movement safety tips
- Visual, vestibular, and musculoskeletal integration training
What is the Balance System?
Comprised of three main parts, all controlled by the brain, the body's balance system provides sensory information about one's surroundings, position of the body in space, and how the body is moving. These key balance components are:
- Eyes: incorrect visual information relayed to the brain can give a sense of imbalance or false motion.
- Inner Ear: the labyrinth and semicircular canals that comprise the inner ear are a major balance maintenance organ of the body; malfunction of the inner ear disturbs the body's equilibrium.
- Muscles: the strength and agility of the muscles of the trunk and lower extremities are essential to maintaining balance.
With the Balance & Motion team at Bayshore, a comprehensive assessment of a patient's balance system can be conducted, with a specific plan of action put into place to restore balance and attain optimal results.
Do You Experience These Symptoms?
- Difficulty getting out of a chair or bed
- Vertigo or dizziness
- Loss of balance while standing
- Tinnitus or hearing loss
- Difficulty walking on inclined surfaces
- Numbness in legs
- Double vision or blurred vision
If so, ask your physician about receiving balance training at Bayshore's Balance & Motion Center.
A prescription is required and most major health insurance plans are accepted.
The Balance & Motion Team:
- Board-certified physicians specializing in otolaryngology, neurology and primary care
- State-licensed physical and occupational therapists
- Certified audiology specialists
To learn more about our Balance & Motion Center, please call 1-800-632-6807.
- Bayshore Community Hospital
727 North Beers Street, Holmdel, NJ 07733
Find a Physician
Looking for a physician in your area? By using our Physician Directory, you can search for a New Jersey physician by specialty, facility, town, and zip code right now.
For more information on any physician, call 1-800-560-9990.